Monday, October 31, 2011

Home Office: Before

The last month of my life has been incredibly busy. A very hectic time at work, lots going on with friends and family and my own personal pursuits have all kept me going almost non-stop. One of the things that I am enjoying most amongst it all the craziness is spending time dedicated to writing this blog. I used to spend time pouring over great design magazines, reading other blogs and creating concept boards for design projects. Now I still do all of that, but I have a great outlet where I can pull all of my thoughts together and share them with you.

While my creative pursuits appear to be a bit more organized in the online world, behind the scenes in my condo, they're still not. So its time to get the wheels in motion and turn my black whole of a "den" into a real home office. Organized and beautiful! I already showed you one concept I've put together for the design, but I am still exploring options.

I am embarrassed to show you its current state, but in the spirit of having a great before and after to show you down the road--I'll risk it. Here is the before.

Yikes. I warned you. This is the view as your are standing outside the sliding barn door.

View from opposite corner


Unfortunately right now my design budget is stretched very thin so this will be a work in progress. And organization will take top priority, then we'll upgrade into the design must haves. I picked up a little Ikea desk which you can see in the pic above. Its very basic but provides a large work surface and will do for a while. I would love to find something like any of the amazing desks I've highlighted below at an estate sale or auction. The 1st dibs price tags attached to these beauties definitely wont fit into my budget right now. Even though I can't have them, I can still admire and share them with you. Enjoy, while I am off to make a little calm out of caos in that soon to be home office.




Italian lattice pattern gilt metal desk via 1st dibs 
Isn't this piece stunning? I love the dark metal top against the gilt gold bronze finish on the legs and of course the lattice pattern seals the deal. What a great desk!




bronze saw horse based desk with glass top via 1st Dibs


I am always drawn to sawhorse or trestle leg desks. The architectural element of the legs just seem very unexpected and unique.



A Late 1960s/Early 1970s Waterfall Desk/Console Table via 1st Dibs
This desk is a bit more unusual for my taste. I just find it very simple and elegant. The white and silver finish help it get noticed where it might otherwise blend into the background.



Milo Baughman White Lacquer Campaign Desk via 1st dibs


Another trestle desk I cant resist. The white laquere and shiny chrome give a really modern and glamorous appeal. The drawer storage is an added bonus.
Henredon Olive Green Oil Drop Lacquer Campaign Desk via 1st dibs




This is another desk that really caught my eye. The unusual olive green color combined with the gold metal legs give it a very vintage feel, but also really elegant and proper. The gold ring pull hardware details take this piece to the next level. I am in love!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good! I love the italian gilt desk!

AnnMarie said...

Any chance you can find me one those at an Estate Sale soon? :)

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!